This is the day that the Lord has made...

This is the day that the Lord has made...

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Understanding

"A man who has riches without understanding is like the beasts that perish."  Psalm 49:20
 
There are many pursuits in life that require daily focus, attention and discipline. To excel in one's career is one of these areas. To be satisfied with the status quo requires very little effort, therefore, that is why we see so many people, in my opinion, underachieving.

To continue with this example, you don't have to go further than the nearest bookstore to learn what it takes to make it to the top in "the world." The number one selling genre of books are those providing understanding in the area of personal growth and development. Many of the world's most successful and influential people will tell you that you can judge a person by the quality and size of their library.

I, myself, tend to believe that this virtue is accurate. The people I have chose as mentors in my life have all been extensive readers who are consistently seeking understanding. As I've grown older, and matured, I have seen a shift in the people that I have chosen to model and follow. Early in my life, I studied principles and practices of those who had amassed and achieved great business success and personal wealth. I discovered over the past year of reading, writing and studying scriptures that my definition of success has changed.

It has become apparent, by looking around outside of me as well as inside of me, that one of the most profound pursuits of my life must be understanding. The verse written above exemplifiesthis concept. A man that amasses wealth for the good of serving himself is a life wasted. Without the understanding and knowledge that the Lord gives us all things to serve him, we miss out on the greatest treasures that life has to offer.

To excel in one's career and achieve success and prosperity without having the understanding that we are designed to serve the Lord and one another, we have the ability to change and influence on the a few lives. To do the same, but have this understanding, we have the ability and opportunity to change the world. As in so many aspects of life, hereto, we have to make a choice. And I ask, how do you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment