This is the day that the Lord has made...

This is the day that the Lord has made...

Monday, May 16, 2011

Wisdom

I had a great deal of windshield time with a weekend trip to Duluth so I took advantage of that time to listen to some of John Maxwell's stuff on CD.  I have to admit that I have fallen away from the personal growth and development trail so it was good to hear his wisdom and poignant stories.  The whole time listening to him, a quote from one of my mentors was running through my head-"As long as you're green you're growing, as soon as you're ripe you rot."

It seems I maybe have been rotting for a while now, or maybe just not as green as I have been in the past.  Either way, it was obvious to me that I have been stuck where I am in life because I haven't taken the time to get unstuck.  For many people, getting unstuck is a huge challenge because it requires change- either physically, mentally or spiritually- which is usually not comfortable. 

As I was listening to Mr. Maxwell, who is a pastor, I kept getting reminded of the book of James, chapter 3, beginning with the 13 verse: "Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom.  But it you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth.  Such wisdom does not come down from Heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil.  For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you have disorder and every evil practice.  But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.  Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness."

To seek change, to stay green so that I am always growing, I must seek the wisdom of Heaven.  I have spent the last year seeking that wisdom, writing about it, reading about it, wishing I could find it.  And now, you know, I think I am beginning to understand.  Getting unstuck in life isn't only about changing your mind, but more importantly, your heart.

You can have a positive attitude for a short period of time.  You can fake it till you make it until everyone sees through you.  But when you truly change your heart, everyone can see that you are different.  The change necessary to get unstuck in life starts when the mind is made up to change the heart.  If the heart does not change, the life cannot change.

No comments:

Post a Comment