This is the day that the Lord has made...

This is the day that the Lord has made...

Friday, December 3, 2010

Hug Your Kids More

I want to share a story about a young boy with a big heart.  His name is Tanner.  Tanner is a hockey player, a competitor, a fighter, a champion.  In the spring of 2010 he scored the game winning goal, in overtime, to secure our teams first place finish and champions of the Mikken Cup.  In the locker room after the game, Coach asked the boys how many had ever won a championship?  One of the skaters raised his hand and said, "we all have now, because of Tanner."

Tanner is with the Lord now.  At the young age of 11 his amazingly impactful life was cut short by an aggressive form of Leukemia.  I attended his end of life celebration yesterday with my son who was his friend.  In a church packed full of people hurting, weeping and praying for understanding, the Holy Spirit delivered a message to everyone there: Hug your kids more.  Take nothing for granted with them as each moment is precious.

I, personally, have a hard time with the death of a child.  I haven't understood why our loving Father would allow for such an event to happen.  I saw the pain of loss yesterday. I saw a community hurting.  And I saw the impact one young boy had on so many people. 

I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.  John 12:24

Look at all the seeds Tanner produced.  Look at all the lives one young boy impacted with not only his life, but his courageous fight to the end and his death.  Every parent in that church yesterday heard and felt the message of the Holy Spirit:  Hug your kids more.  Take nothing for granted with them as each moment is precious.

May you rest in Peace, Tanner.  And may I be a better Dad to my children because of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment