This is the day that the Lord has made...

This is the day that the Lord has made...

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Is Your Heart Right Before God?

When they arrived, they prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit, because the Holy Spirit had not yet come upon any of them; they had simply been baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.  Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.          Acts 8:15-17

Where can I find one who is filled with the Holy Spirit to lay hands on me?  As much as I trust in Jesus and the Holy Spirit, I am sure that I do not have the Holy Spirit.  After much studying and reading I am certain of this.

In Acts 8:15-17, Luke clearly gives direction on how to receive the Holy Spirit and that it is not at all part of the baptism of Jesus Christ.  Becoming part of the Kingdom of Heaven and being filled with the Holy Spirit are obviously 2 separate gifts of God.  In our world today, however, is it appropriate to believe that there are still people filled with the Holy Spirit?  Or, as I have read, was that just a gift to those during the 40 days after Jesus resurrection? 

I want to believe that the Holy Spirit is available to all who yearn for it.  I also know that there are certain individual prerequisites needed before one can receive the Holy Spirit. In Acts 8, we learn that a sorcerer named Simon wanted the power of the Holy Spirit and was willing to pay to have John and Peter lay hands on him.  "You have no part or share in this ministry because your heart is not right before God." 

So obviously, ones heart has to be right before God in order to receive the Holy Spirit.  Now, that leads me to another question: What does it take to make my heart right before God?  Where may I find those instructions? 

I am fascinated by the leading of the Lord in my life at this moment.  My heart and mind are heavy with this line of thought and my spirit is thirsty for more.  I pray that my study and sharing may open the eyes of those learning with me and encourage them to grow their faith as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment