This is the day that the Lord has made...

This is the day that the Lord has made...

Monday, March 7, 2011

Peter is a wise man

Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin.  As a result, he does not live the rest of his earthly life for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God.  1Peter 4:1-2

There is so much good stuff in these couple of lines my mind has a difficult time even getting started.  All I can think right now is "Yes, Lord, Yes!"  For isn't that our continual struggle as humans- putting down the desires of the flesh to make room for the Holy Spirit?  This isn't something you do one time in your life, like registering when you turn 18.  This is a day to day grind, pump your fist and beat your chest type battle for all of us who follow Jesus.

For some it may be daily, for others like myself, it must be moment to moment, the checking of my attitude and human desires.  There is not a single day that goes by in my life where I don't have to ask the Lord for forgiveness of my sinful desires and thoughts.  Some days are better than others, of course, yet I catch myself falling back into the snare of pop culture, keep up with Jones' syndrome and Lifestyles of the Rich and Materialistic.

The enemy certainly has studied me intensely because he knows right where to start tempting me to lead me astray.  Show me a picture of the 2012 Corvette or Camaro, or let me drive by a big, beautiful new home for sale and watch my gears start turning.  My human brain kicks into high gear and I immediately start thinking about how I can HAVE this or that! 

You know, the beauty of having a relationship with Christ is that now, at this point in my life, I recognize exactly what is going on when that happens.  I don't stew for weeks or months and plan my purchase any more.  I can only imagine how much of my life has been wasted with idolatry and the pursuit of THINGS.

I thank God daily, for sending His son to the cross for me so that I might have the ability to die, and yet live, for Him.  Getting clear in your heart and mind with the Lord, knowing and accepting that He did die for you, is one of the most transformational "a-ha" moments you can have in your life.  I continue to pray daily for the salvation of the lost souls of my friends, acquaintances and people around me.  I have chosen to live for God so that He can live in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment