This is the day that the Lord has made...

This is the day that the Lord has made...

Monday, April 25, 2011

Why Name Calling Works

"Woman," he said, "why are you crying?  Who is it that you are looking for me?" Thinking he was the gardener, she said, "sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will get him."  Jesus said to her, "Mary."  John 20:15-16

Yesterday was the celebration of Christ's triumphant victory over death and sin.  We all went to church to hear the Good News of His resurrection, listen to beautiful music proclaim that He lives and feast over wonderfully prepared meals with our closest of family.  Easter was a great day, is a great day and will always be a great day for those of us who know Christ.

I was visiting my Mother's church in Iowa and listened to an eloquent message, which at the heart of it, was the verse above.  Pastor Vicki extrapolated the text and then commented on what tone of voice Jesus would have used to get Mary's attention. I began to think about how I talk to my children and how many different inflections I can use to get their attention, and why is it that I know so many, and which one will work at the  appropriate moment.  I realized that I would know which tone to take with my children when I needed to because I know them, and love them. What a wonderful notion to know that Jesus is going to call my name because He knows me and loves me!  Then I began to think about all of those lost souls who will not hear their name called by Jesus. 

These are the ones that found all the eggs yesterday, ate a ton of candy, had a great meal, yet left the table unsatisfied because the One who made Easter so special wasn't invited to dinner.  We all know folks like this.  We know what they are missing out on.  Is it not our mission, our instruction from our Lord, to tend to those that are lost and bring them back to the flock?

In order to be called by name, He has to know your name...and He learns your name by calling out His name, Jesus, and surrendering this finite, pain-filled, struggle-laden sinful life to Him.  He has gone before us to make a room for us in His mansion, but only if He knows us by name.  On this morning after the celebration of eternal life and victory over sin, I pray that everyone I know will be called by name.

No comments:

Post a Comment