This is the day that the Lord has made...

This is the day that the Lord has made...

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Powerful Prayer

How many times, when praying, have I had the thought run through the back of my mind, "oh man, that will never happen"?  Plenty, that's for sure.  And for a while I didn't think anything of it.  I was under the assumption it was normal, or okay to have those thoughts. I mean, isn't the whole purpose of prayer to ask God for help, or support or guidance?  Yes, of course it is.  But I've learned through the years that there is more to prayer than just folding your hands and asking God for a million bucks!

Never in my life have I had more answered prayer than in this past year and I believe it has nothing to do with luck or favor, rather the strength of my relationship with the Lord and, what I call my "prayer attitude."  It's laid out for us pretty clearly in the Scriptures that prayer must be a cornerstone in the building of our faith.

And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.       Ephesians 6:18
 
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.    Phillipians 4:6
 
Prayer is to be a part of our daily life, not only praying for ourselves, but especially praying for others. It's easy to get tunnel vision and focus only on our own lives, however, this not as God has instructed.  We are to pray in the Spirit, continuously, in and for all aspects of our life and for the world around us.  Taking the focus off me, at times, is part of having a servants heart.
 
Beyond that, though, is what I, and I know many others, feel to be the key ingredient to having a powerful prayer life.
 
Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.    Mark 11:24

But when he asks, he should believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.   James 1:6

Believe in what you are asking of the Lord!  It's not simply good enough to ask. For prayer to be powerful requires a faith of insurmountable proportion so that you can truly see, feel and experience the answer to the prayer as, or before, you pray.  Herein lies the fundamental paradox of prayer:  while prayer builds faith, faith builds prayer.  To have powerful prayer you must have powerful faith. 

And finally, be thankful for the answered prayer before it is answered.  Giving thanks prior to the coming of the answer builds faith and strengthens the foundation of belief.  You certainly wouldn't give thanks for something you didn't receive, therefore, giving thanks builds faith, confidence and belief in God and your relationship with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment