This is the day that the Lord has made...

This is the day that the Lord has made...

Friday, January 7, 2011

Rebuked

I sat down yesterday morning to continue writing about needs, wants and desires and the Holy Spirit rebuked me.  "What makes you think you know more about this than I?" was the message I was given.  For a few minutes I continued to search scripture for verses and dialogue that supported my points, and, in the end, I could not find any.  I got it Lord. Loud and clear.  So I prayed instead of writing yesterday.

When I finished my quiet time with Lord, I wanted to read scripture for a while.  I had just finished the book of Acts and was needing a new book to study.  Earlier, while searching, I ran across a verse from 2 Timothy that caught my eye so I decided to start with that small book.

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.  2Timothy 1:7

It is easy to get excited thinking about having more power and more love in our lives through the Holy Spirit.  It's the self-discipline that's the kicker.  Self discipline is having the ability to listen to the spirit and follow his lead, rather than going on your own.  Self discipline is about not giving into the wants, needs and desires of the flesh of this world in return for the salvation, glory and honor of Heaven. 

What do you think, how do you act, where do you go, who do you hang out with, etc when no one is watching?  If you knew no one would find out, would you skip your morning reading for a few minutes of extra sleep?  Or, if you were in private, would you find a XXX website?  If you've been told, and you know that certain people are trouble, would you still choose to hang out with them if you could?  Self discipline is having the internal fortitude to the stay the course, follow Christ and live according to his will EVEN when no one is looking.

I could have continued writing on my previous topics and no one would have known about my scolding from the Holy Spirit.  But I would, and, in the end, that is what matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment