This is the day that the Lord has made...

This is the day that the Lord has made...

Friday, October 22, 2010

Just Be

Is it just me or does life always seem busy?  At no point in my life more than now has my life been run by a schedule and a calendar. It seems as if each day is a blur and blends into the next because of the pace and hectic schedule of life.  I catch myself wondering if my life was meant to be so busy, so loaded with activity and focused on the "doing" of life.

I vote that instead of dedicating our lives to the "doing"-ness of life, let's move forward, spiritually, and dedicate our lives to "being" better.  Remember, I'm not a theologian nor do I have any formal training, but I think a great scriptural reference for "being" better and finding more joy and happiness in life is to look at "the Beatitudes" in Matthew. I find myself breaking down that word, beatitude, into two separate words- "be" and "atitude".  Huh.  The attitude of being?  I like it.  So I looked up the definition of beatitude and it says supreme blessedness and exalted happiness.  Sounds good to me!

The text of Matthew reads as follows:
  • Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (Verse 3)
  • Blessed are they who mourn: for they shall be comforted. (Verse 4)
  • Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. (Verse 5)
  • Blessed are they that hunger and thirst for righteousness: for they will be filled. (Verse 6)
  • Blessed are the merciful: for they will be shown mercy. (Verse 7)
  • Blessed are the pure of heart: for they shall see God. (Verse 8)
  • Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. (Verse 9)
  • Blessed are they that suffer persecution because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (Verse 10
Now, I know, there is a lot here.  I've been in a Bible study that spent weeks studying this text. That, however, is not my purpose.  My purpose is to learn and understand how I am supposed to "be" spiritually so that I may experience happiness and blessings. So Jesus lays it out for us, beautifully. If I may paraphrase, I am to be:
  • open to receive from the Holy Spirit
  • able to endure the the misfortunes of this life, keeping my focus on my eternal life
  • calm, patient and submissive to the Holy Spirit
  • desiring to have more of the Holy Spirit in my life
  • loving of my fellow brothers
  • focused on those things that are good, and true, and pure and right in the eyes of the Lord
  • a peaceful inhabitant of earth
  • strong in my faith and stand for what I believe
Hmmm, it all sounds pretty good to me.  Now, it comes down to following what I have been instructed on how to"be".  We've been given our direction, leadership and encouragement from the Lord so it is up to us to "be" that way for Him. Challenging, yes I know, yet, how rewarding of a life could it be if I were able to "be" as He has commanded.

I pray that you all have a blessed weekend and that the Lord may shine upon you and keep you in His glory, from this day forward.  In Jesus' mighty name.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment