This is the day that the Lord has made...

This is the day that the Lord has made...

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Bug's Life

One of my favorite aphorisms is "Sometimes you're the bug, and sometimes you're the windshield." I smile every time I think of that saying because of the harsh reality it defines.  At any one moment in time, you're position in life can change from being the bug to the windshield.  It would seem that when you are the windshield, life would be pretty easy.  Things would tend to go your way as you are zipping through life enjoying the view and the scenery while all of the nuisances in life just bounce off of you. 

Likewise, life can be cruel and painful, like that of the bug's life.  From this perspective, you can be cruising along enjoying your life, the beauty of God's creation and the magnificence and splendor of...SPLAT! Yes, life can be very unfair.  So, how am I supposed to get by?  How am I to exist in a world that can seem so cruel and unfair in one moment, and amazing and glorious in the next?

From the fullness of His grace we have all received one blessing after another.   John 1:16

I believe that the answer to my 'thought question' lies in the word perception and in my understanding of grace.  If I can maintain the attitude and perception that,even in what appears to be the worst of times, there is a blessing for me and that the Lord always has my back, then I can maintain the "windshield" perspective in life.  And I know how difficult that is, but I also know how important it is.

And then there is grace.  In my feeble attempt to understand the scriptures, I know there are a few definitions, or levels, of grace.  The grace I am referring to is the spiritual power that is given to us when we accept Christ as our redeemer, as the one who defeated sin and death.  This  perfect and complete grace gives us the inspiration to follow in Jesus' footsteps as a servant to fellow man and opens the door to the many gifts He revealed to us when He said "you, too, can do this and more in my name."  This grace offers me the awareness that I am living life with God, and how amazing that life can truly be.

You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at our right hand.   Psalm 16:11

With God's perfect grace and the presence of the Holy Spirit in my life, what once was lost, is now found.  What once appeared cruel, is now a blessing.  What once seemed insurmountable, is now conquered.  Thank you Lord for your loving kindness, the fullness of your grace and the breathtakingly awesome life that you have given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment