This is the day that the Lord has made...

This is the day that the Lord has made...

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

In The Morning

I find great joy in some of the simplest things in life, which is why I continuously look for opportunities to challenge myself and to grow.  One of my new joys in life is my new alarm.  I know it sounds silly, but honestly, I go to bed at night with great anticipation of the early morning salutation. 

You see, I, like most everyone else I know, have this really cool phone. It has an alarm function that I have been using to get me up in the morning.  When I first got my phone, I downloaded an alarm tone that I thought was really peaceful and neat.  It had some kind of harp with chimes and birds as its main sound, and I have to tell you, it could quite possibly wake the dead.  When that thing would go off and the birds would do their thing, wow!, I was up.   And so was my heart rate!  Some mornings it would feel like I had all kinds of crap going on!  So I have been using this alarm for months and waking up everyday, startled

The other day I was sharing a new song (on my phone of course) with a friend.  The song is "Give me Jesus" and I was telling them that this is the song I listen to in the morning just before I start my Bible study and sit down to write.  The lyrics of the first verse are quite simple, yet profound: "in the morning, when I rise; in the morning when I rise; in the morning when I rise, give me Jesus.  You can have all of this world, just give me Jesus."  The song is awesome and has a catchy acoustic guitar riff to open with.   After sharing the song and a short conversation, we decided that it would make a great "wake-up" song instead of the "damn birds"!

This whole week now I have been using my song as my alarm tone and I have to tell you, what a difference.  As I am lying in bed, I generally awake about 1 minute before the alarm goes off.  Then, quietly the guitar starts and before I know it I am lying in bed, singing.  The song is then stuck in my head for the rest of the day.  At any given time throughout my day, the lyrics will be running through my head and I find myself praising and worshipping Jesus all day. 

I know this seems a bit silly, and maybe it is. I do know that it has had a wonderful effect on my morning disposition as well as has helped me stay focused on what is important during the day.  This, to me, is just a part of being spiritually inclined.  You can choose to have the buzzer or the "damn birds" wake you up in the morning.  Or, you can choose something different.  It is your choice.

This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice and be glad in it because "they" can have all this world, just give ME Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment