This is the day that the Lord has made...

This is the day that the Lord has made...

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Follow me

My current readings have taken me through the first few chapters of John.  How amazing it must have been to be in the presence of Jesus.  I mean, can you imagine yourself, at work today doing your thing and a complete stranger walks by and says, "Follow me." 

Wouldn't it make sense to respond to that command with a few questions, such as "Where are we going?", or better yet, "Who are you?"  Would any rational human being just drop everything that he/she is doing and follow a complete stranger?  I would say probably not.  So that means that these average Joe disciples were influenced in some way to not question, but to just "know" that they are to follow.  Hmmm.

What would it take in a person for me to simply exit my current life to follow him?  I can't think of too many things. It certainly wouldn't be his clothing.  Nor would it be the fancy watch he might be wearing.  I don't even think the fancy sports car he might be driving would be enough to lure me away from my life. 

Have you ever been around someone that has a lot of personal power, a strong presence?  I believe that what these uneducated men saw in Jesus was certainty.  The certainty that he was the son of God, filled with the Holy Spirit.  The certainty that he presented because he knew he had a purpose to serve that was bigger than himself.  The certainty that one would have when they know that they know that they know they have the answer.  The certainty that can only come from the Holy Spirit.

As you grow in your personal relationship with Jesus, there will come a time when the Holy Spirit will whisper to you, "Follow me."  Then what?  Will you be ready?  Will you be willing?  Will you have the faith to step forward and follow?

Follow me.  Two powerful words that in a blink of an eye can and will turn your world inside out.  To follow him means to give up this world for the one he has promised.  To follow him is to walk in the light.

But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God.  John 3:21

Jesus is the truth and the light and the way.  When he comes knocking at your door and says, "Follow me", I pray that you don't question, but follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment