This is the day that the Lord has made...

This is the day that the Lord has made...

Monday, November 15, 2010

Taking Inventory

As I prepare for my upcoming family get away to celebrate Thanksgiving, I am reminded about all that I have to be thankful for in my life.  Far too often I find myself thinking and focusing on what's missing in my life and working to achieve and fill those perceived voids.  I wonder if that is just me or if that is part of the human condition?  I don't know the answer there, but I do know that everyone of us has many reasons to give thanks. 

I know there has been research done on the effects of  gratitude on the human being.  One such study showed changes in brain chemistry and body chemistry such that the make-up of tears of gratitude are completely different from tears of sorrow or pain.  Having an attitude of gratitude and being thankful turns out to be a fundamental character train in those people that define themselves as happy.

As for God, his way is perfect, the word of the Lord is flawless.  Psalm 18:30

Many times and many places in scripture are we given instruction on how to live which is why some refer to the Bible as a "Handbook for Life".  Living with gratitude and being thankful is a prime component to living spiritually inclined.  Paul tells us in 1 Thessalonians, chapter 5 verse 18, Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances for this is Gods' will for you in Christ Jesus.

If God's way is perfect and his word is flawless, then we must be thankful for everything in our life.  Maybe today would be a good day to take inventory on all the things that you have to be thankful for.  Find out for yourself how perfect His way is and open your eyes to just how often the Holy Spirit has answered a prayer, filled a need or simply blessed you with a desire of your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment