This is the day that the Lord has made...

This is the day that the Lord has made...

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Right Way and The Wrong Way

One of my mentors once said "We are who we are because of our mothers, fathers, teachers and preachers", meaning that we develop our attitudes, opinions and beliefs from the people of influence in our lives.  It took me a long time to appreciate the wisdom in this statement, however, I now certainly do see and understand this simple truth.  And I understand, too, why surrounding yourself with people of good character is so important.

Anyway, other people of influence in my life have been coaches that I have had through the years.  After my time reading scripture today, I was reminded of my high school football days and Coach Cooper.  He once told me, "There's a right way and wrong way to do things.  We do things the right way."  As a 16 year old, I didn't really get what we was saying, but I did listen because it stuck.

Enter through the narrow gate.  For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow is the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.  Matt 7:13-14

As a believer, a man that has been saved by my Lord, Jesus Christ, I know there is a path that has been set before me.  Everyday that I study the Bible, the more this path is revealed to me and the more understanding I have of my role as a Christian.  But, if I don't take the time to study the Word and pray, how would I ever know if I was "doing things the right way?"

I get frustrated on a daily basis, as do many people I'm sure, with the silliness of being politically correct.  I find it hard to believe that we have created a world around us that no longer believes in teaching right and wrong and good from bad.  How in the world are the young people of today going to be successful leaders of tomorrow if we don't teach them well?  Again, there is a right way and a wrong way to do things here, and I believe we are doing many of the wrong things.

I also believe that we must allow our people to experience the consequences of doing things "the wrong way."  Nothing provides a better education than the experience of failing or falling short.  As much as failing sucks, it is a necessity in life.  I have failed in my short life many more times than I have succeeded.  I can also say that those failures have shaped me, molded me and have taught me to become dependent on God.  In a world that teaches us to be independent, to rely on ourselves, the Holy Spirit provides lessons that develop our dependency on God. 

Our God is a jealous God.  He wants to be number one in our life, as he deserves.  He has also made the path to Him narrow and the gate to life small so that only those who truly commit to Him may find Him.  Take a moment today to look at the path you are following.  I pray that it is narrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment